Friday 6 May 2016

The Language of Flowers

Well over a year ago I read The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh and have been planning a series of illustrations inspired by it ever since. A few months ago I finally got around to starting the drawings and I've slowly been making progress between other projects. This week I finally finished them!
The series consists of 9 illustrations based on the meanings of various flowers (taken from Victoria's Dictionary of Flowers at the back of the book). Here they all are:

Queen Anne's Lace - Fantasy

Acacia, Dogwood, Fuchsia, Linden Tree, Myrtle, Pinks, Red Rose - Love

Red Rose, Saxifraga - Love & Affection

Angelica, Lupine - Imagination & Inspiration

Stephanotis - Happiness in Marriage
(Featuring our engagement rings. I'm thinking of using this one somehow in the wedding decor)

Primrose - Childhood

Freesia - Everlasting Friendship

Pear Blossom - Comfort

Agapanthus - Love Letter

I may add a few of these as prints to my Etsy shop soon, or possibly turn them into a little zine.
What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. i love these! i think that would be an awesome idea. i've also looked up the book that inspired this. i'd love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I definitely recommend reading it, it's a really beautiful story. And all the descriptions of the flowers just makes you want to be a florist!

      Delete