Friday 15 January 2016

East of the Sun and West of the Moon

One of my favourite Christmas presents from Jamie this year was a beautiful book of Fairytales from around the World. As much as I want to start reading it right away I decided to put it aside until the New Year, and to read one at a time and create some illustrations based on each one.
So this is the first post a new series 'Fairytales from around the World'.
Sometimes I'll just be doing the one illustrations, other times I'll do several. I'm hoping to do a combination of full illustrations, patterns, book cover designs and mini comics, so I should have a big variety of things to share in the next few months!

First up was East of the Sun and West of the Moon.
As I read through the story I made notes of all the interesting descriptions , scenes and objects, and came with ideas for four illustrations:
The girl riding away on the Great White Bear
The door of the castle in the foot of the mountain
A pattern made up of the three golden objects she was given to help her
And finally, the North Wind blowing over the storm, East of the Sun and West of the Moon 

Emma Margaret Illustration East Sun West Moon 2016

Emma Margaret Illustration East Sun West Moon 2016

Emma Margaret Illustration East Sun West Moon 2016

Emma Margaret Illustration East Sun West Moon 2016

The next story is Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp. I'll be back soon with some illustrations for that one!


No comments:

Post a Comment